You Make The Call: Breakfast or Dessert?


Last week, I really wanted a dessert. I was trying to be good, but wasn't really feeling like making a single serving dessert and wanted to share with G.

I had some frozen puff pastry, apples and a few pears. Yes, pears. Apparently I cannot resist a pear on sale.

Could I throw these together and come up with something? I wondered. It worked and was so good that I made it twice!

This picture is from the first attempt. It had more apples than pears. The second time was more pears than apples and my favorite. Also, I used more preserves the second time. Unfortunately, pictures from the second attempt did not prove fruitful. : )

Either way it's so good! I didn't measure any ingredients, because it was so simple and that's what I often do.

Prepare your puff pastry as directed on the package or do what I did. Let it defrost, or quickly microwave it, so you can unfold it. I turned the edges up a bit, though you really could not tell in the end. Bake the pastry for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees or until puffed up and a little browned.

Use lightly flavored preserves to generously spread over the puff pastry. I used peach preserves. Cut up 2 -3 pieces of fruit leaving the skin on. I tried to cut nice even slices, so it would look pretty on the pastry.

Arrange the fruit slices on the preserve covered pastry. Pour a few teaspoons of vanilla extract over the fruit. The first time I sprinkled the top with ground cardamom. The second time I used ground cinnamon. Use whatever is your preference. Ginger would be good too.

Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar. Bake for another 15 -20 minutes at 425 degrees.

Now here is where the dessert or breakfast dilemma happens. My first slice was after dinner and I added some whipped cream. Yum! Dessert!

I saved the second slice for breakfast. No whipped cream and I had it with coffee and a veggie sausage. Yum! Breakfast pastry!

What do you think? You make the call!

Happy weekend to you!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2013. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter.
Join me on Facebook.
Shopping on Amazon today? If so, please consider starting here and help support this blog.

Comments

Popular Posts