Curried Sweet Potato Frittata


Over the past couple of years I've started using a lot more curry. Also, I love frittatas. Since I don't eat meat, the eggs and cheese are perfect for any meal. I love quiches too, but frittatas are quicker to make and a bit healthier since there is no crust.

A few weeks ago, my mom and I were talking about the new trend of using coconut oils and all the alleged health benefits. Neither of us had used it for cooking, but we both said that we'd be interested in trying it.

Within a week of our conversation, I received an email asking me if I'd be interested in trying Primal Essence Infused Coconut Oil. Serendipity strikes again!

I was plenty interested, so I decided to try one of the infused savory coconut oils -- Indian Curry. Primal Essence also has infused sweet coconut oils as well.

When I opened the jar, the curry aroma was wonderful! I generally don't measure when I cook, so I'm approximating the amounts that I used. I used a bit of oil to prepare the pan.

I used three boiled sweet potatoes for the bottom layer of my frittata. In a medium bowl, I mashed the potatoes, stirred in about two tablespoons of the Indian Curry Coconut Oil, along with 1/4 cup of chopped garlic, and some curry powder. Then I spread the sweet potato mixture on the bottom of the pan.

For the next layer, I sprinkled some cheeses, Parmesan, Gruyere, and crumbled goat cheese over the sweet potato mixture. I probably added a little more than a cup of cheese in total.

Then I whisked together six eggs and added 1/2 teaspoon of salt and some pepper, a bit more of the curry oil and poured it over the top. I baked the frittata for about an hour at 350 degrees.

As I was putting the ingredients together, I remembered Ming Tsai saying that while he is known for his East-West fusion style of cooking, there has to be a certain respect and understanding of food before you start combining things. That just because you can combine ingredients doesn't mean that you should.

I also thought about the Indian Fusion cooking class that I took. For this meal, I drew from Indian, French and Italian influences. There is certainly an East-West fusion thing happening here!

While I'm not sure if Ming Tsai would approve, I loved this combination and so did G. It's hard to tell how much of the flavor came from the oil or the powder, but either way, it worked. I still don't know about all the health claims about coconut oil. It seems to me that moderation and balance are key when using any ingredient.

So I'm just going with that for now and looking forward to finding new ways of using this curry infused coconut oil.

+ + +
Disclosure: Primal Essence provided the coconut oil to me as a free gift. Thank you!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2014. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter.
Join me on Facebook.
Shopping on Amazon today? If so, please consider starting here and help support this blog.

Comments

Popular Posts